Request to clean up Player IDs, News IDs

For suggestions / requests to improve the league (e.g. rules change proposals, etc)
Kezzek
Posting Freak
Team: Richmond Hill
Fav MLB Team: Twins
Fav NHL Team: Wild
Organization Report URL Number: 13

Request to clean up Player IDs, News IDs

Post by Kezzek » Tue 25 Jan '11 5:35pm

Given that the game uses message ID numbers, player ID numbers, and the like, there has to be a way to fix the message items from other teams being sent to the wrong teams.

What is actually happening is the game is re-using ID numbers for messages, players, etc.

There are directories in the CBL.lg/news/txt and CBL.lg/news/html that you can clean out the out-dated items. I've never done this, but it seems that one could do this.

Perhaps make a league back-up and then try it?

I just want to stop receiving 20 message per sim that have nothing to do with my team--or that show one of my players but the text refers to another team, or vice versa. This is just getting horrible and it's reached the point where it is so frustrating.

I know everyone is being affected. Why continue with this?
Last edited by Kezzek on Tue 25 Jan '11 8:30pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Richmond Hill Moonshots - "Home of the Moonballs"

kq76
Posting Freak
Special: Admin
Fav MLB Team: Toronto Bluejays
Fav NHL Team: Vancouver Canucks

Re: Request to clean up Player IDs, News IDs

Post by kq76 » Tue 25 Jan '11 7:49pm

Is your problem only with the messages? If yes, I don't know what doing anything with the "directories in the CBL.lg/news/html" folder would do.

I tried figuring out the problem myself and couldn't see a connection between the players the game was confusing (and by confusing I mean referring to a player in a message, but displaying a pic and stats of another player). They had completely different player IDs.

What was the last players the game confused for you? The 2037-3-29 (and the few right before it as well) message confusing Tomczak and Hoskins was the last example for me and as you can see for yourself, they use different player IDs. The former is retired while the latter is not so presumably there's an issue with the retired.dat and names.dat file, but both Chris and I had those included in the update file. And while I did submit a tech support ticket about it awhile ago (TTQ-885116) it saw no results.

Have you tried anything? Even reporting things that didn't work could help narrow it down.

The best suggestion I may have is just limiting your message subscriptions as I have.

Kezzek
Posting Freak

Post by Kezzek » Tue 25 Jan '11 8:48pm

It's just weird how the CBL is so messed up but another long-time (not *as* long, but long history regardless) league I'm in has no issues at all. Are we perpetuating a somehow corrupted league file when we keep transitioning to a new version?

I haven't added any message subscriptions, it's all default as far as I know.

Browsing some recent messages:

Title: Personal Message from SS Miguel Adrover (who is one of my players)
Text: "Christian, I really enjoy playing for the Eagles (link to BC) but I can't help feeling my talent is being wasted. I feel I'm better suited as a hitter in the middle of the lineup and hope that you respect that."
Player Card at Bottom of screen: "Jerome Gordon, Yukon Miners"

So that one is actually three different teams kludged up in one message. I've got several "Personal Message" items recently. I doubt the other managers want me viewing them. Likewise, it's discouraging they can view mine (I'm sure Richmond Hill messages are ending up elsewhere.)

The real problem is that I don't actually know if the game is trying to tell ME that one of MY players is dissatisfied/negotiating/etc. This occurs year-round from preseason FA convos through end of season line-up tweaks, injuries, everything.

It just sucks that we seem to be stuck with this. If it's not editable/fixable via cleaning out some folder the game uses, then we've got to strongly look at a complete league enema. Either start the league anew (not preferred) or do a manual rebuild of teams and players with the editor in a clean league. (marginally more preferred)

I've heard of plenty of other leagues seeing this issue and I cannot FATHOM that it hasn't been at least acknowledged by OOTPD. There are some incredible OOTP gurus in the community--none of them have found a resolution or fix or workaround to the issue?

Kezzek
Posting Freak

Post by Kezzek » Tue 25 Jan '11 8:52pm

Just looking at league files, it appears that our issues would lie in the DAT files. If the issue stems from some corruption in them, there will be no fix/resolve/workaround and a league re-boot would be necessary. I don't know. It's just really discouraging.

chrisj
Posting God
Team: Calgary
Special: Commissioner
Organization Report URL Number: 22

Post by chrisj » Tue 25 Jan '11 11:21pm

Kezzek wrote:It's just weird how the CBL is so messed up but another long-time (not *as* long, but long history regardless) league I'm in has no issues at all. Are we perpetuating a somehow corrupted league file when we keep transitioning to a new version?
Kezzek wrote:I've heard of plenty of other leagues seeing this issue and I cannot FATHOM that it hasn't been at least acknowledged by OOTPD. There are some incredible OOTP gurus in the community--none of them have found a resolution or fix or workaround to the issue?
I'm curious if this has something to do with leagues that converted from OOTP 6.5 and prior? That's where we saw a mass change in player ID's?

I'm assuming other leagues have never found a solution?

Kezzek
Posting Freak

Post by Kezzek » Tue 25 Jan '11 11:56pm

I haven't heard of a solution, just heard people mention they'd had message errors too. Now that you mention it, my other league I mentioned that has never had this issue re-booted with a fresh start post-version 6.5.

You might be right about our issues stemming from 6.5 conversion.

Checker33
Team: Lethbridge
Fav MLB Team: Boston Red Sox
Fav NHL Team: Hartford Whalers
Organization Report URL Number: 20

Post by Checker33 » Thu 21 Apr '11 9:48am

I am in another league that converted from 6.5 to OOTP 11 and we didn't have any message issues that I know about. We did have other issues so we subsequently rebooted the league with a fresh start. It could be that the message issues pop up after a number of season under 11. Our conversion in the other league only lasted for one season when we restarted.