Rule suggestion : new schedule

For suggestions / requests to improve the league (e.g. rules change proposals, etc)
llmolsonll
Team: Montreal
Fav NHL Team: Habs
Organization Report URL Number: 6

Rule suggestion : new schedule

Post by llmolsonll » Mon 10 Dec '12 11:31pm

Our current schedule pretty much repeats the same pattern throughout the season : series vs team A, series vs team B, series away vs team A, series away s team B. Should we spice it up trusting OOTP or another designed schedule?

Does anyone have a negative experience with OOTP13's schedules?

Halifax
Team: Halifax
Organization Report URL Number: 2

Re: Rule suggestion : new schedule

Post by Halifax » Tue 11 Dec '12 7:39am

If you mean OOTP generated schedules they are iffy- usually don't keep head to head/ home-away balances like we have now.

Custom made schedules can be ok - I think we have a simple custom schedule now - you could look for one that has more variation but keeps all the balances intact.

barracus79
Team: Toronto
Fav MLB Team: Atlanta Braves
Organization Report URL Number: 15

Post by barracus79 » Tue 11 Dec '12 8:22am

I like the balance that we have now, and I think that should be preserved. however, it would be nice to 'randomize' the series a bit. I think you'd be hard pressed to keep balance by adding interleague, so I don't prefer that (though I'm no adamantly against it).

that said, if it adds a significant workload to commish's duties, I say no, and stick with something simple.
Toronto Barons Official Website
2040, 2054 CBL Champions

JAttractive
Posting Freak
Team: Niagara
Fav MLB Team: Blue Jays
Fav NHL Team: Leafs - Boycotting
Organization Report URL Number: 11

Post by JAttractive » Tue 11 Dec '12 4:50pm

Would love to spice it up with differing off-days. Could care less about patterns.

As stated I only want this if it can be done easily though. Not a big deal to me.

ill16ca
Posting Freak
Team: Saskatoon
Fav MLB Team: Jays
Organization Report URL Number: 19

Post by ill16ca » Tue 11 Dec '12 5:21pm

A balanced schedule is all I really care about.

MK82
Posting Freak
Team: Former Ottawa, Medicine Hat
Fav MLB Team: Toronto Blue Jays
Fav NHL Team: New York Islanders

Post by MK82 » Tue 11 Dec '12 8:34pm

I do not care either way.
Mo
Windigos GM

llmolsonll
Team: Montreal
Organization Report URL Number: 6

Post by llmolsonll » Tue 11 Dec '12 9:40pm

i dont recall anyone complaining about OOTP's schedules in other leagues i participate in. This is the only league i have seen with a custom schedule. It doesnt generate any more work for the commish, its just a box checked in settings.

I really think we should spice things up...the same schedule over and over again?

cubfan377
Team: Yukon
Fav MLB Team: Cubs
Fav NHL Team: Blackhawks
Organization Report URL Number: 24

Post by cubfan377 » Tue 11 Dec '12 10:00pm

I'm ok with changing the schedule as long as it remains balanced by means of the game or a new custom schedule.

grizzliesgm
Team: Fredericton
Fav MLB Team: Colorado Rockies
Fav NHL Team: Montreal Canadiens
Organization Report URL Number: 1

Post by grizzliesgm » Tue 11 Dec '12 11:46pm

I agree with going with a different (random year-to-year) schedule, if possible. If not possible, at least come up with a schedule that shakes up the match-ups rather than the current repetition described in Montreal's post.

Claybor
Posting Freak
Team: Kingston
Fav MLB Team: Redsox
Organization Report URL Number: 12

Post by Claybor » Tue 11 Dec '12 11:49pm

As long as it's balanced.

Off Topic - I'd like to do away with interleague games. It can not be balanced unless all teams play every team from the opposite league, which I do not think is the case with ours. (I could be wrong about that though.)

ill16ca
Posting Freak

Post by ill16ca » Wed 12 Dec '12 12:45am

Claybor wrote:As long as it's balanced.

Off Topic - I'd like to do away with interleague games. It can not be balanced unless all teams play every team from the opposite league, which I do not think is the case with ours. (I could be wrong about that though.)
Our schedule is set up so that we play teams in our own division 14 times, other teams in our own league 12 times, and teams in the other league 2 times. The problem I see here with always having the same schedule is that we always play the same teams in the other league in the same venue, ie: my team always plays Montreal on the road and Ottawa at home. Not the end of the world, but it's not perfect.

Since flights and the like aren't an issue in our fantasy world, I'd suggest a home and home series with each team from the opposite league.

Claybor
Posting Freak
Team: Kingston
Fav MLB Team: Redsox
Organization Report URL Number: 12

Post by Claybor » Wed 12 Dec '12 12:52am

Those numbers seem well balanced then.

I would prefer to do away with interleague rather then add more games, although I do see your point in that playing same teams at home or away each year is not ideal.

chrisj
Posting God
Team: Calgary
Special: Commissioner
Organization Report URL Number: 22

Post by chrisj » Wed 12 Dec '12 1:14pm

ill16ca wrote:Our schedule is set up so that we play teams in our own division 14 times, other teams in our own league 12 times, and teams in the other league 2 times. The problem I see here with always having the same schedule is that we always play the same teams in the other league in the same venue, ie: my team always plays Montreal on the road and Ottawa at home. Not the end of the world, but it's not perfect.

Since flights and the like aren't an issue in our fantasy world, I'd suggest a home and home series with each team from the opposite league.
Are you sure? I thought interleague was home and home already...

chrisj
Posting God

Post by chrisj » Wed 12 Dec '12 1:15pm

llmolsonll wrote:i dont recall anyone complaining about OOTP's schedules in other leagues i participate in. This is the only league i have seen with a custom schedule. It doesnt generate any more work for the commish, its just a box checked in settings.

I really think we should spice things up...the same schedule over and over again?
OOTP doesn't do well at generating a balanced schedule in the format we have now... you might not notice it, but I've played around with it in the past with no luck.

chrisj
Posting God

Post by chrisj » Wed 12 Dec '12 1:17pm

One thought incorporating some comments from above - how about if we had a schedule as follows

- 154 games
- no inter league play
- play each team in your league 14 times (7 home / 7 away)

The benefit is that each team within the league plays each other the same # of times - so there is no benefit/disadvantage from being in one division or the other. The drawback is there is a fewer number of games (although is that really a drawback?).

Thoughts?

ill16ca
Posting Freak

Post by ill16ca » Wed 12 Dec '12 1:20pm

chrisj wrote:
ill16ca wrote:Our schedule is set up so that we play teams in our own division 14 times, other teams in our own league 12 times, and teams in the other league 2 times. The problem I see here with always having the same schedule is that we always play the same teams in the other league in the same venue, ie: my team always plays Montreal on the road and Ottawa at home. Not the end of the world, but it's not perfect.

Are you sure? I thought interleague was home and home already...
I'm pretty certain, at least based on the 2044 schedule. I just checked, and I played London, Quebec, Hamilton, Montreal, PEI and Niagara on the road only, and the other six at home only.

ill16ca
Posting Freak

Post by ill16ca » Wed 12 Dec '12 1:29pm

chrisj wrote:One thought incorporating some comments from above - how about if we had a schedule as follows

- 154 games
- no inter league play
- play each team in your league 14 times (7 home / 7 away)

The benefit is that each team within the league plays each other the same # of times - so there is no benefit/disadvantage from being in one division or the other. The drawback is there is a fewer number of games (although is that really a drawback?).

Thoughts?
I'm happy with keeping two interleague games, but if people want to move to a purely balanced schedule by reducing the number of games, I won't complain too much. The biggest problem I see with that is that teams will generate less revenue with less games played - for example, a team drawing 30,000 at $10 a ticket would stand to lose $1.2 million in revenue with 4 lost home games.

JAttractive
Posting Freak
Team: Niagara
Fav NHL Team: Leafs - Boycotting
Organization Report URL Number: 11

Post by JAttractive » Wed 12 Dec '12 2:03pm

Please don't change the number of games. It makes it more difficult to compare player stats through the years. Worse in my opinion, single season and even career HR records, wins etc. all start to become nearly impossible to beat while things like batting average records become easier to beat. This kind of ruins part of the fun for someone like me who loves rooting for or against guys to beat records.

I could care less about interleague play, can take it or leave it. Just please keep the 162 game schedule!!

cubfan377
Team: Yukon
Fav MLB Team: Cubs
Fav NHL Team: Blackhawks
Organization Report URL Number: 24

Post by cubfan377 » Wed 12 Dec '12 7:01pm

JAttractive wrote:Please don't change the number of games. It makes it more difficult to compare player stats through the years. Worse in my opinion, single season and even career HR records, wins etc. all start to become nearly impossible to beat while things like batting average records become easier to beat. This kind of ruins part of the fun for someone like me who loves rooting for or against guys to beat records.

I could care less about interleague play, can take it or leave it. Just please keep the 162 game schedule!!
I agree with this. Could we make a post on the OOTP forums requesting a new schedule?

Winnipeg59
Team: Former St. John's
Fav NHL Team: Jets + Leafs
Organization Report URL Number: 4

Post by Winnipeg59 » Wed 12 Dec '12 8:25pm

ill16ca wrote:
Claybor wrote:As long as it's balanced.

Our schedule is set up so that we play teams in our own division 14 times, other teams in our own league 12 times, and teams in the other league 2 times. The problem I see here with always having the same schedule is that we always play the same teams in the other league in the same venue, ie: my team always plays Montreal on the road and Ottawa at home. Not the end of the world, but it's not perfect.

I like this concept...
I suggest asking on the OOTP forum for a schedule that offers the 3x14, 8x12, 12x2 (home/away) format, with staggered off days and see what comes back. I'm sure there are some crack schedule-makers out there that would take the challenge.
David - GM St. John's Explorers 2044-2052
Eastern League Champions - 2047
Atlantic Division Champions - 2044, 2045, 2051

chrisj
Posting God

Post by chrisj » Wed 12 Dec '12 10:32pm

If someone wants to take charge to ask - I'm willing to run with that schedule, since it is similar to what we have now (just with home/away for interleague and and staggered off days).

jazzrack
Posting Freak
Team: Yellowknife
Special: Website Provider
Fav MLB Team: Dodgers of course
Fav NHL Team: Sharks if i have to
Organization Report URL Number: 18

Post by jazzrack » Thu 13 Dec '12 4:10am

i have come the the conclusion that i don't care all that much. over 162 games it pretty much all washes out in the end.
Yellowknife Diamonds - Prairie Division Champions *2002,*2003,2015,2025,2026,2027,2036

Watch the on-line league newscasts on my youtube channel. or you come by my leagues website i am often live these days

kq76
Posting Freak
Special: Admin
Fav MLB Team: Toronto Bluejays
Fav NHL Team: Vancouver Canucks

Post by kq76 » Thu 13 Dec '12 5:54am

Winnipeg59 wrote:I suggest asking on the OOTP forum for a schedule that offers the 3x14, 8x12, 12x2 (home/away) format, with staggered off days and see what comes back. I'm sure there are some crack schedule-makers out there that would take the challenge.
Sounds good to me.

I don't care one way or the other about interleague, but if we were to have it I do agree that teams should play each other home and away, not one but not the other.

I do like the idea of staggered off days. It can be interesting when you're some number of .5 games back and you have to figure out what you have to do to get even.

As for # games, I'm normally a fan of 154, but I agree with Brandon that it's best to stick with what we have for the sake of comparing players and records.

chrisj
Posting God

Post by chrisj » Mon 17 Dec '12 12:29am

fyi - I found one that should work for us on the OOTP forums. I've imported it into the game. Please take a look at it and let me know what you guys think.