Rule suggestion : career ending injuries

For suggestions / requests to improve the league (e.g. rules change proposals, etc)
llmolsonll
Team: Montreal
Fav NHL Team: Habs
Organization Report URL Number: 6

Rule suggestion : career ending injuries

Post by llmolsonll » Mon 10 Dec '12 11:42pm

Career ending injuries : they stink when they happen, but are they still realistic and should we adapt given in-game year 2045? In the OOTP universe, everything translates through ratings and potential. A CEI should translate into ratings and potentials drops, which long term injuries often do. Given today's medecine (2012), players come back strong regularly; given in-game 2045 virtual medecine, it should be even better? Tommy John surgery isnt even scary anymore...

Who could name MLB players whose career ended due to an injury recently?

As other leagues do, should we convert CEI to 12-24 months injuries?

barracus79
Team: Toronto
Fav MLB Team: Atlanta Braves
Organization Report URL Number: 15

Re: Rule suggestion : career ending injuries

Post by barracus79 » Tue 11 Dec '12 8:18am

I'm on the fence on this one, would be happy either way
Toronto Barons Official Website
2040, 2054 CBL Champions

Halifax
Team: Halifax
Organization Report URL Number: 2

Post by Halifax » Tue 11 Dec '12 11:47am

Prefer to keep CEI.

JAttractive
Posting Freak
Team: Niagara
Fav MLB Team: Blue Jays
Fav NHL Team: Leafs - Boycotting
Organization Report URL Number: 11

Post by JAttractive » Tue 11 Dec '12 4:46pm

Would rather up the injury time to 12 to 48 months (random range) and let the game engine hit them with ratings drop. Most will effectively be career ending injuries this way anyway but there is still uncertainty. I think part of the problem with the way CEI's are handled is there is no chance of a comeback, which is not what happens in real life. Yes some injuries ARE career enders but seldom do we realize that until years of failed comebacks, rehab attempts etc.

ill16ca
Posting Freak
Team: Saskatoon
Fav MLB Team: Jays
Organization Report URL Number: 19

Post by ill16ca » Tue 11 Dec '12 5:17pm

I agree with JAttractive. I suggested 18 months, but I'd be fine with 12-48 months. As far as I can tell, the game does make talent hits more likely when a player is injured.

kq76
Posting Freak
Special: Admin
Fav MLB Team: Toronto Bluejays
Fav NHL Team: Vancouver Canucks

Post by kq76 » Tue 11 Dec '12 6:18pm

No.

LTIs are not the same as CEIs and who knows what 2045 will really bring. Cancer has been around since at least ancient Egypt and yet centuries of Science still haven't eradicated it. Yes, there have been many advances in medicine over the years, but to speculate that CEIs will be gone in 33 years is silly. Should we also advance our finances to the point that players make, not millions a year, but billions a year too? Certainly players in 2045 will be making much more than they are today, but we haven't bothered to change that and would we really want to? Probably not. What for? Part of the fun of taking part in an online league certainly must be in imagining that we have to deal with the same sort of things that real GMs have to and getting rid of CEIs would get rid of part of that fun and challenge. Would it be better if OOTP changed many CEIs (not all, because of deaths and some players just give up) to LTIs that just never end? Maybe, but without that option, CEIs are better than no CEIs. We might as well edit ratings drops we don't like.

chrisj
Posting God
Team: Calgary
Special: Commissioner
Organization Report URL Number: 22

Post by chrisj » Tue 11 Dec '12 7:28pm

JAttractive wrote:Would rather up the injury time to 12 to 48 months (random range) and let the game engine hit them with ratings drop. Most will effectively be career ending injuries this way anyway but there is still uncertainty. I think part of the problem with the way CEI's are handled is there is no chance of a comeback, which is not what happens in real life. Yes some injuries ARE career enders but seldom do we realize that until years of failed comebacks, rehab attempts etc.
But there isn't a way to do this automatically, is there?

If it involves manual work I would prefer not to make any change as how to you avoid potential bias (or the threat of someone suggesting potential bias)? i.e. what if André Cousineau was set to come back in 12 months because of some random generator, but player x was set to 3 years and suffered significant talent hits along the way?

Checker33
Team: Lethbridge
Fav MLB Team: Boston Red Sox
Fav NHL Team: Hartford Whalers
Organization Report URL Number: 20

Post by Checker33 » Tue 11 Dec '12 8:23pm

I would like to do away with CEI's. Make any CEI a 12 month injury. I don't want reality, I want a fun game. Also, whether its 2012 or 2045, CEI's just don't happen anymore. Guys come back from Tommy John surgery throwing harder than before their injury.

MK82
Posting Freak
Team: Former Ottawa, Medicine Hat
Fav MLB Team: Toronto Blue Jays
Fav NHL Team: New York Islanders

Post by MK82 » Tue 11 Dec '12 8:31pm

I would prefer to keep the CEI given the fact that the league hardly loses players to CEIs.

With that being said, I am easily swayed.
Mo
Windigos GM

llmolsonll
Team: Montreal
Organization Report URL Number: 6

Post by llmolsonll » Tue 11 Dec '12 9:54pm

chrisj wrote:
JAttractive wrote:Would rather up the injury time to 12 to 48 months (random range) and let the game engine hit them with ratings drop. Most will effectively be career ending injuries this way anyway but there is still uncertainty. I think part of the problem with the way CEI's are handled is there is no chance of a comeback, which is not what happens in real life. Yes some injuries ARE career enders but seldom do we realize that until years of failed comebacks, rehab attempts etc.
But there isn't a way to do this automatically, is there?

If it involves manual work I would prefer not to make any change as how to you avoid potential bias (or the threat of someone suggesting potential bias)? i.e. what if André Cousineau was set to come back in 12 months because of some random generator, but player x was set to 3 years and suffered significant talent hits along the way?
Editing has to be manual, but CEI are scarce and it really hardly adds any work. I got hit once or twice since i joined in 2032, league average maybe is 2 a year maximum? It really doesnt add more work than inputing a rare trade would.

Has mentionned above, an injury turns into a CEI years later when rehabs and comebacks fail, they do because it translated into ratings drops. Let the game do its magic and hit us with ratings drops, it is much more realistic to me.

And honestly, how could an injury be diagnosed as a CEI right away? Shouldnt it be a long process, first with the actual surgery and healing, then the failed rehabs and comebacks? It should take months to diagnose it.

And CEI can be turned off altogether btw.

Geoff
Team: BC
Fav MLB Team: Toronto
Fav NHL Team: Vancouver
Organization Report URL Number: 21

Post by Geoff » Tue 11 Dec '12 11:32pm

I don't mind the CEI, (As long as the frequency doesn't get too high). Dealing with injuries and still having a good season are one of the most satisfying things in OOTP.
BC Eagles

grizzliesgm
Team: Fredericton
Fav MLB Team: Colorado Rockies
Fav NHL Team: Montreal Canadiens
Organization Report URL Number: 1

Post by grizzliesgm » Tue 11 Dec '12 11:38pm

I'm okay keeping CEI. I've been burned in the past but that adds to the challenge of the game.

Claybor
Posting Freak
Team: Kingston
Fav MLB Team: Redsox
Organization Report URL Number: 12

Post by Claybor » Tue 11 Dec '12 11:52pm

No strong opinion here, either way.

Winnipeg59
Team: Former St. John's
Fav NHL Team: Jets + Leafs
Organization Report URL Number: 4

Post by Winnipeg59 » Wed 12 Dec '12 8:34pm

Leave 'em.
Luck of the draw.
It will NEVER happen to me :twisted: .........
David - GM St. John's Explorers 2044-2052
Eastern League Champions - 2047
Atlantic Division Champions - 2044, 2045, 2051

JAttractive
Posting Freak
Team: Niagara
Fav NHL Team: Leafs - Boycotting
Organization Report URL Number: 11

Post by JAttractive » Thu 13 Dec '12 12:17am

Oh didn't realize you would have to manually change them. I thought you could edit the injury file to make them longer than a year.

Hopefully CEI's, deaths etc. are things that future versions model better. I understand that's it is unrealistic to turn them off but the counter-argument is that the game doesn't handle them realistically anyway. I am cool with leaving them on now that I know you have to manually edit them and I will just hold out hope that this is something the game will eventually improve upon.

jazzrack
Posting Freak
Team: Yellowknife
Special: Website Provider
Fav MLB Team: Dodgers of course
Fav NHL Team: Sharks if i have to
Organization Report URL Number: 18

Post by jazzrack » Thu 13 Dec '12 3:31am

i would be more for dropping down th injury frequency a notch for a season and see what happens rather than eliminate CEI's.

and this is from somebody who has lost his franchises best players to cei's.
Yellowknife Diamonds - Prairie Division Champions *2002,*2003,2015,2025,2026,2027,2036

Watch the on-line league newscasts on my youtube channel. or you come by my leagues website i am often live these days

chrisj
Posting God
Team: Calgary
Special: Commissioner
Organization Report URL Number: 22

Post by chrisj » Thu 13 Dec '12 11:06pm

jazzrack wrote:i would be more for dropping down th injury frequency a notch for a season and see what happens rather than eliminate CEI's.

FWIW, we're already set to low.

jazzrack
Posting Freak
Team: Yellowknife
Special: Website Provider
Fav MLB Team: Dodgers of course
Fav NHL Team: Sharks if i have to
Organization Report URL Number: 18

Post by jazzrack » Fri 14 Dec '12 12:24am

chrisj wrote:
jazzrack wrote:i would be more for dropping down th injury frequency a notch for a season and see what happens rather than eliminate CEI's.

FWIW, we're already set to low.
well then i would vote for no change. a run of bad luck is a run of bad luck. i made it worse all by myself :oops:
Yellowknife Diamonds - Prairie Division Champions *2002,*2003,2015,2025,2026,2027,2036

Watch the on-line league newscasts on my youtube channel. or you come by my leagues website i am often live these days