CBL Realignment

For suggestions / requests to improve the league (e.g. rules change proposals, etc)

Which option do you prefer in regards to league alignment

Current alignment
67%
NHL alignment (2 divisions per league, 6 teams each)
25%
Other (Please explain)
8%

Total votes: 12

cubfan377
Team: Yukon
Fav MLB Team: Cubs
Fav NHL Team: Blackhawks
Organization Report URL Number: 24

CBL Realignment

Post by cubfan377 » Thu 20 Nov '14 11:48am

Before the CBL tackles other rules, I think league alignment needs to be discussed once again. Earlier this year a long discussion was held in this post: http://www.cbl-online.info/phpBB3/viewt ... =14&t=9533

Among the highlights is Chris suggesting the new NHL format
chrisj wrote:I've never had anything specific - just thought about changing things a bit. I actually like the NHL setup applied to the CBL:

- 2 conferences
- 2 divisions in each conference
- Winner of each division makes the playoffs
- Top two non-division winners in each conference make the playoffs
A potential alignment with this format would look like
Winnipeg59 wrote:Eastern League
Atlantic - Fredericton, PEI, St. John's, Halifax, Montreal, Quebec
Central - Ottawa, Kingston, Niagara, Toronto, Richmond Hill, Hamilton

Western League
Prairie - Saskatoon, Regina, Winnipeg, Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London
Pacific - BC, Calgary, Edmonton, Yukon, Yellowknife, Lethbridge
Personally, I like this format since it allows for more division rivals and a better means to have the 8 best teams in the playoffs.

ill16ca
Posting Freak
Team: Saskatoon
Fav MLB Team: Jays
Fav NHL Team: Habs
Organization Report URL Number: 19

Re: CBL Realignment

Post by ill16ca » Thu 20 Nov '14 12:08pm

I like the NHL format, if only because of improved geographic accuracy, and to keep things from getting stale.

Claybor
Posting Freak
Team: Kingston
Fav MLB Team: Redsox
Organization Report URL Number: 12

Post by Claybor » Thu 20 Nov '14 12:15pm

I see no benefit from realignment to be honest. The league has been this way for 40+ years and I prefer consistency. I also think that any major changes made to the league structure have the potential to screw up the league history. OOTP does not handle change very well, hell sometimes it's bad enough just changing versions.

devaneyfan
Posting Freak
Team: Hamilton
Fav MLB Team: Kansas City Royals

Post by devaneyfan » Thu 20 Nov '14 1:11pm

Claybor wrote:I see no benefit from realignment to be honest. The league has been this way for 40+ years and I prefer consistency. I also think that any major changes made to the league structure have the potential to screw up the league history. OOTP does not handle change very well, hell sometimes it's bad enough just changing versions.
Hamilton would have seen great benefit last season - with the weakest division sending a team to the plyoffs with a losing record while the Hawks won 97 games (franchise's 3rd best season ever). There is benefit to reducing the likelihood that a losing team is in the playoffs.

I am concerned about goofing up things, but would agree to a change if: a) the history remains intact, and b) there is a balanced schedule.

JAttractive
Posting Freak
Team: Niagara
Fav MLB Team: Blue Jays
Fav NHL Team: Leafs - Boycotting
Organization Report URL Number: 11

Post by JAttractive » Thu 20 Nov '14 2:52pm

Would this mean more or less teams make the playoffs or stays the same?

I like things how they are but if you guys think things have gotten stale I am cool with change. I do prefer two divisions and two conferences in my leagues though so I am not opposed. I will abstain from voting as I am fine with either option.

cubfan377

Post by cubfan377 » Thu 20 Nov '14 3:01pm

JAttractive wrote:Would this mean more or less teams make the playoffs or stays the same?

I like things how they are but if you guys think things have gotten stale I am cool with change. I do prefer two divisions and two conferences in my leagues though so I am not opposed. I will abstain from voting as I am fine with either option.
I believe Chris and others agreed at keeping the number of playoff teams the same. It will just go from 3 division leaders & 1 wildcard to 2 of each.

Winnipeg59
Team: Former St. John's
Fav NHL Team: Jets + Leafs
Organization Report URL Number: 4

Post by Winnipeg59 » Thu 20 Nov '14 4:10pm

This works of course until the NHL expands! :D :D :D

There are a couple of ready-made schedules included in OOTP for this type of setup.
- Division games number 60 (which means you would play each other team -5- in your division 12 times - 6 home and 6 away)
- Intra-division games number 66 (which means you would play each team in the other division of your league 11 times - could be 5-6 or 6-5)
- Inter-league games number 36 which means you would play the teams in the other league 3 times each (no idea if that means 3 home or a combination of 2-1 or 1-2, I seem to recall it would be 3 games in one park or the other each season)

As we have seen with the current schedule it is almost impossible to have a completely balanced schedule with an ideal mix of games - I've tried :wink: . And if we change things, there's always the risk we hate it and then it's a pain to change back. In any event, I voted for change, but won't be overly disappointed if things stay the same because I made the playoffs with a losing record last season - HA!!! :wave:

Sorry...
David - GM St. John's Explorers 2044-2052
Eastern League Champions - 2047
Atlantic Division Champions - 2044, 2045, 2051

cubfan377

Post by cubfan377 » Thu 20 Nov '14 4:31pm

Claybor wrote:I see no benefit from realignment to be honest. The league has been this way for 40+ years and I prefer consistency. I also think that any major changes made to the league structure have the potential to screw up the league history. OOTP does not handle change very well, hell sometimes it's bad enough just changing versions.
I would agree that realignment should be forgotten if it will screw up the league history.

Chirs- Would you be able to copy the league file and sim a few seasons to test this out? (Assuming the league agrees to it)

creed
Posting Freak
Team: Kitchener
Fav MLB Team: Toronto Blue Jays
Fav NHL Team: Montreal Canadiens
Organization Report URL Number: 9

Post by creed » Wed 26 Nov '14 1:10pm

Personally I'd recommend this option. Saves any Ontario teams being thrown out west.

http://www.cbl-online.info/phpBB3/viewt ... 073#p38737

JAttractive
Posting Freak
Team: Niagara
Fav NHL Team: Leafs - Boycotting
Organization Report URL Number: 11

Post by JAttractive » Thu 27 Nov '14 1:07pm

If we were starting this league from scratch I would be in favour but I don't want to change this now. I enjoy the rivalries and the quirks of this league.

llmolsonll
Team: Montreal
Fav NHL Team: Habs
Organization Report URL Number: 6

Post by llmolsonll » Thu 27 Nov '14 9:47pm

we change the league structure in another league and history stayed, i wouldnt have any worries.