Why so little trading in the CBL?

For suggestions / requests to improve the league (e.g. rules change proposals, etc)
devaneyfan
Posting Freak
Team: Hamilton
Fav MLB Team: Kansas City Royals

Why so little trading in the CBL?

Post by devaneyfan » Wed 27 Jul '16 7:25am

Why so little trading in the CBL? What are the elements of leagues that have more trade talk? How do we generate more active management in the league?

Post your thoughts here.

cubfan377
Team: Yukon
Fav MLB Team: Cubs
Fav NHL Team: Blackhawks
Organization Report URL Number: 24

Re: Why so little trading in the CBL?

Post by cubfan377 » Wed 27 Jul '16 8:25am

I think the salary cap is part of the reason. When my team has been good I am typically right up against the cap and that adds another factor into being able to make a trade work.

neef
Posting Freak
Team: British Columbia

Post by neef » Wed 27 Jul '16 8:48am

The salary cap has always been in place though.

I think the average age of the members is older now and we just don't pour over trade ideas as much. I used to send blind trade offers a lot more. Sometimes it really worked out well. Now I just wait and look at the trade board, which is usually pretty barren.

We, as a group, need to rededicate ourselves to being more active. There may be other issues, but that's the number one issue in my eyes.

dmacgreg - EDM
Fav MLB Team: Red Sox
Fav NHL Team: Canucks

Post by dmacgreg - EDM » Wed 27 Jul '16 9:36am

I was going to say, that my opinion is just ownership that is busy with other things.

We set up slack, and for the most part, we haven't had many people online, and when they are, it's pretty quiet. We have 15 current members there, and another one pending. The other owners still haven't replied with email addresses. People get busy with real life, but it's certainly a very quiet league so far, which is disconcerting after how you almost recently shut down/restarted.

ill16ca
Posting Freak
Team: Saskatoon
Fav MLB Team: Jays
Fav NHL Team: Habs
Organization Report URL Number: 19

Post by ill16ca » Wed 27 Jul '16 9:40am

I agree with Greg and Eric, but another big reason is the lack of good prospects in the league. My observation is that there's more high level talent playing in the majors than there are high potential prospects. Generally a trade is going to have prospects and/or draft picks going one way, and the teams looking to improve their major league rosters often don't have the prospect capital needed to pull off a trade.

Claybor
Posting Freak
Team: Kingston
Fav MLB Team: Redsox
Organization Report URL Number: 12

Post by Claybor » Wed 27 Jul '16 9:52am

I think (and hope) it is simply that we are barely up and running again, and it's going to take some time for many GM's to get back into it. We are also in free agency right now so some might be waiting to see what they can sign before making any move. (That's my situation, why trade for something when I can possibly sign someone without giving anything up.)

dmacgreg - EDM
Fav MLB Team: Red Sox
Fav NHL Team: Canucks

Post by dmacgreg - EDM » Wed 27 Jul '16 10:34am

I posted up a pretty top talent on the trade talk on Slack right now, hopefully that'll get things moving. One big piece moving can get things going too.

devaneyfan
Posting Freak

Post by devaneyfan » Wed 27 Jul '16 11:43am

I believe the lack of draft pool talent has been a big factor. I've run a few tests with different player gen settings and think there will be a solid draft class this year.

cubfan377
Team: Yukon
Fav MLB Team: Cubs
Fav NHL Team: Blackhawks
Organization Report URL Number: 24

Post by cubfan377 » Wed 27 Jul '16 9:36pm

devaneyfan wrote:I believe the lack of draft pool talent has been a big factor. I've run a few tests with different player gen settings and think there will be a solid draft class this year.
How far did you sim into the future? Only ask because another league that I am in previously had big bumps in PCMs & were lowered a lot as we switched to 17 since testing showed player development is a little different.

devaneyfan
Posting Freak

Post by devaneyfan » Wed 27 Jul '16 9:39pm

Only far enough ahead to generate the amateur draft class.

chrisj
Posting God
Team: Calgary
Special: Commissioner
Organization Report URL Number: 22

Post by chrisj » Thu 28 Jul '16 7:53pm

cubfan377 wrote:I think the salary cap is part of the reason. When my team has been good I am typically right up against the cap and that adds another factor into being able to make a trade work.
I've wondered if this is sometimes the issue. I've always been willing to make some deals - but salary cap limitations put me into a tough situation.
Claybor wrote:I think (and hope) it is simply that we are barely up and running again, and it's going to take some time for many GM's to get back into it. We are also in free agency right now so some might be waiting to see what they can sign before making any move. (That's my situation, why trade for something when I can possibly sign someone without giving anything up.)
I think this is certainly part of the issue right now. Most new owners especially don't quite know much about their team since we haven't hit the regular season yet.

GMwinnipeg
Team: Former BC GM
Fav MLB Team: sf giants
Fav NHL Team: sj sharks
Organization Report URL Number: 21

Post by GMwinnipeg » Mon 03 Jul '17 12:06pm

it is simply to hard to trade a ml player for another ml player. it becomes much easier when u can trade picks and/or prospects for ml players. but the key is too have rosters with a good amount of prospects that can be exchanged for ml players. a league gets much better when the lousy teams start accumulating a lot of prospects and see they can rebuild much faster by simply getting a lot of good prospects or trading excess good propects for ml talent. I am in a league mlsb that has unbelievable talented drafts and has all kinds of trade activity. we are currently drafting in that league and in the 7th or 8th rd we still have some 3 star players left.

bear in mind that a deeply talented draft is still pretty much equal for all. its just that as teams get close to the top they want to get that last vet that puts them over the top thus the weaker teams give up that good vet and pick up excess picks and move quicker up the rebuilding ladder.

I have seen it repeated time and time again. weak drafts promote no activity. strong drafts promote much more trading activity. trading activity is the key to increasing much greater interest and activity in a league.

by the way our drafts were too weak a few seasons ago but have improved. I still think it could be improved more. say 4-5 rds to get to 2 star players.

by the way a salary cap is not the problem altho increasing it sometimes may help. I have been in a couple of leagues where salary demands simply were not properly adjusted to the cap. a cap that is 80 mil with player demands at 30 mil per season does not work.

Claybor
Posting Freak

Post by Claybor » Mon 03 Jul '17 11:04pm

I am usually one of the biggest detractors to change, but i can't disagree with anything you just posted.

Didn't we talk about raising the cap by 2.5 per year up to 90 a while back?

Drafts could be a bit deeper too I guess. Something to consider, the more tradeables the more trades makes a lot of sense.

SirGodrikz
Fav MLB Team: Toronto Blue Jays
Fav NHL Team: Montreal Canadians

Post by SirGodrikz » Mon 03 Jul '17 11:50pm

i believe the cap is being raised. I am up for getting into round 4-5 with at least 3 star players. I do agree it will bring more activity in regards picks being traded and prospect players. just my 2 cents!
Team: St John's Explorers
Eastern League Atlantic Champs : 2058

devaneyfan
Posting Freak

Post by devaneyfan » Tue 04 Jul '17 11:16am

Claybor wrote:
Mon 03 Jul '17 11:04pm
Didn't we talk about raising the cap by 2.5 per year up to 90 a while back?
The salary cap was raised to $90M either last season or the year before.

devaneyfan
Posting Freak

Post by devaneyfan » Tue 04 Jul '17 11:23am

A few seasons ago, I made a slight adjustment to the player creation modifiers which led to a deeper draft pool. Several folks thought the effect was too great and I scaled back to the default for subsequent drafts.

I may experiment with the modifiers again this season to have a slightly deeper pool.

Claybor
Posting Freak

Post by Claybor » Tue 04 Jul '17 4:44pm

Sorry, I am in rebuild and not even close to the cap so I had not thought about it in a while.